The cathedral of King Bagrat in Kutaisi is one of the best monuments of Georgian architecture. Construction began in the last quarter of the 10th century and ended in 1003 during the prosperity of the feudal economy and culture in Georgia. The Acropolis climbed the hill above the right bank of the River Rioni.
From the 10th to the 13th century, Kutaisi was a prosperous city. The city, located 236 km (146 miles) west of Tbilisi, serves as the capital of Imereti and the second largest city in Georgia, located on both sides of the Rioni. According to some scholars in the late Bronze Age (1300 BC), Kutaisi was the capital of King Aites, the father of Media, who possessed a golden fleece.